If you want your construction company to succeed in the future, you need to put a more conscious effort on how you use your resources.
- Use Cost Estimating Software
Using building construction estimation and cost software will make it easier for you to collect all the data you need for your construction company. The software will allow you to use programs, processes, and information to calculate the total cost of a construction project.
You can plan projects faster as well as:
- Plan budgets with accurate construction costs.
- The basic estimating tool allows you to add, edit and share your pricing proposals quickly.
- Create line-by-line estimates.
- Maintain existing buildings with schedules and detailed costs.
You can avoid redesign by aligning the design with the client’s needs and budgets while verifying costs within the tool. You will also have the ability to build square foot models quickly and accurately. This allows you to have a model to present to your client in a timely manner.
Building construction estimation and cost software allows 24/7 access on desktop or mobile device which will enable you to:
- Search database by keyword; pin frequently-used items
- View detailed price breakdowns including material, labor, equipment, and productivity
- Receive automatic quarterly cost-updates
- Follow price trends and set alerts when something changes
Investing and using cost estimating software will help your construction company reduce cost on projects while aligning designs with client’s needs.
- Take Advantage of Green Technology
Green design is about finding that balance between high-quality construction and low environmental impact. Green technology is now becoming the expected standard by homebuyers, renters, and commercial tenants.
The use of green technology will lower your buildings’ carbon footprint with the use of resources to reduce waste. In addition to reclaimed or recycled materials, you can efficiently use energy, water, and other resources to make your construction projects more sustainable and environmentally friendly.
Some ways you can incorporate green technology into your construction business includes:
- Recycled metal is a long-lasting material that does not require frequent replacement, won’t warp or burn, and is water and pest resistant. It’s a viable option for roofing, structural supports, and building faces.
- Reclaimed lumber can be taken from old structures, treated, and resized to use in current construction projects. Using reclaimed wood means you a preserving timber and saving energy by using fewer resources to harvest, treat, and transport new lumber. It can be used for structural framing, flooring, siding, and cabinetry. However, it needs to be thoroughly inspected due to possible infestation and degradation of wood over time.
Your construction company should get its LEED certification. LEED, which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), is a voluntary national certification process that helps industry experts develop high-performance, sustainable residential and commercial buildings.
- Use Environmentally Sustainable Materials
Sustainable materials are made from recycled products and resources that can be replenished quickly. These materials can include such materials as lumber, stone, metal, and paper can all be recycled and reused for building. Using sustainable materials allows you to use products in your construction projects that are renewed quickly with little to no impact on the environment.
Some examples of quickly renewable products include:
- Bamboo: Since it is a fast-growing plant, it can be used frequently in green and sustainable buildings. Bamboo is versatile and can be used as flooring or to reinforce concrete.
- Recycled plastic: Instead of sourcing, mining, and milling new components, companies are able to produce concrete using ground-up trash and recycled plastic. Recycled plastic also reduces greenhouse gas emissions while reusing a material that would otherwise end up in a landfill.
- Cork: Harvesting cork only requires the removal of bark from the tree. It does not require the whole tree to be cut down and is often used as flooring.
Other innovations in sustainable construction include homes made of straw bales, structures constructed entirely of rubber tires, and buildings built using glass bottles or cans.
Your construction company will have success in the future if it stays on top of the growing trends in the industry as well as incorporating these three tips into your business.
Leave a Reply