Dubia roaches native to South and Central America are also referred to as “Orange spotted roach.” They are considered a versatile food source for your pet reptiles, invertebrates, and amphibians. These feeding insects defy the common perception you may have about roaches being smelly, unmanageable, and dangerous.
- Easy to store since they do not fly, climb and display limited mobility in captivity
- Do not emit a foul odor
- Will not infest your home nor creep out your family
- Very docile creatures
- Extremely hardy and durable
- Are not high on maintenance
You can confidently source premium Dubia roaches from a reputed online retailer like https://www.topflightdubia.com/ that sells healthy and nutritious feeder insects. Put your pet reptiles on a healthy diet with roaches that are easy to digest and rich in protein. These nutritionally balanced roaches ship well and arrive in good condition.
The many benefits of choosing Dubia roaches over other feeder insects are enumerated here:
- Highly nutritious as they are packed with all the right dietary elements your pet reptile needs for a healthy existence
- Their long digestive tract and ability to store food for three days in their stomachs indirectly benefits the reptile you feed them to
- Have a lower fat content when compared to other feeding insects, which keeps pet dietary concerns at bay
- They survive well on nuts, grains, seeds, fruits, vegetables, and other sources of high-quality protein
- Their average lifespan of one to two years is longer than other standard feeders
- Transmission of dangerous infections or parasites is highly unlikely; hence, they come under the less risky category of feeders
- Since the moisture content in them is low, your pets are guaranteed a more wholesome nourishment
- Their high calcium ratio ensures your pets do not suffer from bone disease complications
Dubia roaches come in varied sizes to cater to reptiles ranging from small, mid-sized to large. Animal enthusiasts are also known to feed these roaches to their pet frogs, spiders, tarantulas, fish, and bird species. A single roach is often sufficient for your pet’s daily meal, provided you choose a size appropriate for their nourishment.
Listed here are guidelines to source the ideal Dubia roach for your pet reptile:
Purchase Smaller Insects
Your pet may find it challenging to consume giant-sized roaches. Also, bear in mind the growth pattern of Dubias, which grow faster in their initial years. Once they reach adulthood, their growth slows down considerably. It is safer to buy the smaller insects, and if your pet needs more than one to satisfy their hunger pangs, you can always feed them more.
Start With Samplers
Should you be introducing your pet breeds to Dubia roaches for the first time, purchase a smaller quantity initially. With time you will be able to gauge how well your home bred reptiles take to their feed. Should you find your pets enjoying their latest feed, you can stock up on more going forward.
Follow the Thumb Rule
Check the distance between your pet’s eyes as it can help you determine the size of insects they can safely consume. A feed smaller in length to the gap between their eyes is the ideal size. You can begin with smaller roaches and gradually increase the size without choking your pet reptiles.
Tally the Weight
Depending on whether your pet is an infant or fully grown, the weight of roaches they can consume in one go will vary. For instance, you can feed an adult pet in one sitting up to five roaches that are one to two inches in size.
In comparison, baby pet reptiles consume a smaller feed at a time. It goes without saying that the bigger the roach, the bulkier they are in weight.
Study the Eating Frequency
Each pet species has a unique eating frequency, which you can adequately cater to only when you research beforehand. Once you fully comprehend how often your pet needs to be fed, you can accordingly source a suitable quantity of roaches.
Should you own more than one variety of reptile, examine each one’s eating pattern individually. You can also consult with an expert reptile handler who can acquaint you with your specific reptile’s eating habits and provide valuable tips.
Before feeding your pet with the Dubia roaches, your vet may recommend you coat them with an appropriate nutritional powder. It all depends on the dietary need of your specific reptile species.
Place bulk or smaller Dubia roach orders only with specialized online retailers like https://www.topflightdubia.com/ from whom you can source quality insect feeds.