The winter season is approaching, and with the season comes merriment, and enjoyment abounds. Whether you celebrate Christmas or Kwanzaa, or you enjoy the snow or the cold, it doesn’t matter. Winter is on the horizon, and some may be looking forward to it more than others, such as myself.
But with the season and holidays comes a change in the weather, a shift in the atmosphere, if you will. What was once a cool, smooth autumn morning may have become a rigid and stiff dawn, one with a chill that freezes one beneath the flesh and to the very bone.
Now you might have prepared for such beforehand; you might have purchased or procured apparel that was fit for the weather, or so you thought. But if you find yourself still colder than others or even require more clothing fit for the weather, you may want to invest in a thicker garment. You, dear reader, may want to invest in snow pants.
What are Snow Pants?
Snow pants, as the name may imply, are trousers that are made for snow. Thicker than sweatpants and far more durable, these pants are for the ones that live in or visit the colder areas of the world, for the ones that involve themselves in activities that tend to be in the freezing climes often.
The Purpose of Snow Pants
The obvious purpose of snow pants is to keep your lower body as warm and dry as possible. They are the armor of your legs, the shield that protects them from Mother Nature’s frigid and icy sword. They operate to provide comfort and warmth to the wearer and even keep you dry.
What are the Different Features?
These come with no shortage of features to help contribute to the wearer’s comfort, safety, and warmth. Some of these include:
- Insulation – perhaps the most attractive feature. Snow pants, for the most part, are made to be natural insulators, ones that are meant to trap and spread warmth. The lining of them is made with fabrics and materials that trap and retain heat, which ensures your legs are warm throughout the more frigid temperatures. This is especially useful for those who engage in no shortage of winter activities such as skiing or snowboarding.
- Durability – another feature in popular demand, as snow pants are as durable as they are warm. Though all are durable, there are others that come with a DWR (Durable Water Repellant) coating, in particular. This coating makes the pants nearly waterproof, as it not only stops but also reflects moisture away from the pants, which helps keep them dry even in inches of snow and ice. (See more on DWR here)
- Taped Seams – in addition to their durability, the fabrics are made to be tight-knit, with the seams taped together. This unique form of stitching further serves to keep snow, ice, and water from staining and reaching through to your skin. This is another valuable factor for enduring the winter cold.
- Adjustable Features – of course, there are other additions to these trousers that make them available to potential purchasers, one of which is comfortability and sizing. The majority of them come with the ability to adjust the waistbands and cuffs, which allow a more custom fit that is comfortable for the wearer. This makes such vital features as sizing less important.
The Different Types Available
Snow pants come in many forms and shapes. Despite this, there are three main categories for them, namely bib, shell, and insulated.
You can find more information on such at the website below:
- Bib – snow pants that extend above the waistline, providing more coverage and warmth for the legs and torso, especially.
- Shell – also known as hardshell or softshell. These pants are made to be more breathable and lightweight, while also providing superb water-resistant capabilities. However, they are less insulated than the other types, providing less protection from the cold as a consequence.
- Insulated – the go-to trousers for those who seek warmth above all else. They are made to be insulators, serving to keep heat trapped inside and, in turn, keep your legs warm. Such a feature is critical when wanting to stay warm in the winter, and especially when partaking in winter activities.
Where You Can Buy Them
Snow pants are available at any major clothing store or retail company. And finding such locations can be done with a drive or a search on the web. There are plenty of companies that sell snow pants to ready-made consumers.
The winter season is fast approaching, and with it come changes in both the mood and atmosphere. To prepare for the latter, make sure you have the gear available to you. Make sure you have the apparel fit for your comfort, warmth, and safety in mind.