The world of marketing is dynamic and vast. There are countless forms of marketing, ranging from traditional forms like radio, posters, and newspapers, to current modern alternatives like PPC, blogging, and KOLs.
For the uninitiated, the term KOL stands for Key Opinion Leader, and it refers to a specialised type of influencer. This type of marketing has become quite popular in recent times.
Faced with ever-increasing competition, businesses continue to spend billions of dollars annually on marketing. With everyone seeking to have the upper hand over their competitors, the market has spanned creative methods of marketing.
What’s A KOL
A KOL is an individual thought to as being “gurus” in his/her niche. They are your go-to person for advice on matters that require special attention. As such, they hold significant sway over crowds – thanks to their perception as being highly skilled and knowledgeable.
A KOL typically works hand-in-hand with brands to create more awareness about a business’s product or services. These professionals do their marketing online, often using social media channels. In most cases, they have built names for themselves in their respective popular niche.
You’d be forgiven if you thought that a KOL and an influencer are the same. They are similar in how they command large followings online, but they are actually different. What separates these two titans comes down to expertise.
You may think of an influencer as a kitchen knife and a KOL as a surgical blade. These individuals are highly specialised in their niche and targeted audience. Hence, they are sought after by firms, looking to leverage their expertise and influence.
Benefits Of Hiring A KOL
- Creating Brand Awareness
Key Opinion Leaders command unmatched respect from their followers. Their followers hold them in such high esteem. They trust whatever they say or think; thereby, they can easily influence any discussions within their niche.
Working with these specialists will positively affect your brand. Merely mentioning your product even in a casual conversation is sure to gather significant interest in your business. Ultimately, a portion of this traffic is bound to purchase, thanks to their interaction with a KOL.
- Higher ROI
KOLs can help you create insane levels of buzz for your product. By capturing this surge in traffic, businesses can enjoy a boost in sales. Compared to other traditional marketing channels, these individuals have a higher return on investment, making them a valuable asset.
To guarantee success, you need to convey your desires and expectations during your interaction effectively. This way, they can adjust their tactic accordingly.
- Targeted Advertising
We previously mentioned that a KOL is different from an influencer in that they are highly specialised. This is advantageous as it offers you the ability to target a particular group of audience. You can go as far as selecting the age group your product or service is geared for.
How To Find The Right KOL
There are several significant benefits linked to working with these specialists. While looking to pair a KOL with your brand, there are a few things you need to take into consideration. They include:
- Check how their demographic following is relevant to your brand. This will determine the kind of people who will connect with your business.
- To ensure that your KOL is genuine, check on their followers and engagement on social media. They may have hundreds of thousands of followers, yet they have low engagement with the same followers. This is problematic.
- How are they offline? Most people put different personas while online. Take your time and find out how they are like once the camera is off. Do they genuinely believe in what they sell or not? Someone who’s genuinely passionate about what you are selling will have a different level of conviction than someone who’s in it just for the money.
Apart from these three, you may also look at:
- Their LinkedIn profiles
- Read blogs on industry leaders and whom they view as being exceptional
- Listen to podcasts and videos of leading figures in the sector
- Attend any networking events that may be within your area or adjacent cities
The internet is awash with influencers and KOLs. Thanks to how easy it is to create a social media account. However, the task of singling out the ideal candidate may take a while. Like any business deal, take your time and do a thorough search before settling for any of these spectacular individuals.
After all, the fate of your business is relying on you making the right selection.