In these days, many households have two parents and both are working full time away from their home. Working full-time jobs and taking care of household is almost too much to deal with sometimes. Tasks like cooking, house cleaning and keeping up with your children’s busy schedules can be stressful.
For a small fee, you can get a set of hands to manage your weekly stress, hiring a maid may be the perfect solution to your problems. But before you start looking, you need to know exactly what types of services a maid offers.
A maid is different from a house cleaning service.
The first thing you need to know is, a maid is not the same thing as a house cleaning service. It’s important to know the difference between the two so that you can hire the right person for the job. The major differences between a maid and a home cleaner revolve around the frequency of visits and the services that they perform.
A maid is a more consistent presence in your home. She would be there two to three times per week or more, depending on your requirements. A maid completes a list of daily or weekly responsibilities while she’s there and you provide the necessary things that she needs to do her job. You directly pay the maid for her services.
A cleaning service is someone you would hire for a top-to-bottom deep cleaning of your home and the home cleaner belongs to an organization.
General duties perform by a Maid
The list of what a maid would be responsible for varies on your needs. Here is a list of some of the tasks that maid will perform for you. Some general maid services are:
- Cleaning the bathrooms (mirrors, toilets, showers, and bathtub).
- Cleaning the kitchen (wiping down appliances, counters, sinks, and cabinet).
- Washing and drying dishes.
- Changing bed sheets
- Washing and ironing clothes.
- Cleaning interior windows.
- Removing garbage and recycling.
- Restocking personal items (toilet paper, tissues, etc.).
- Putting away toys, DE cluttering and light organizing of household items.
- Lighthouse cleaning that includes dusting, vacuuming, sweeping and mopping the floors in all rooms.
- Running errands for the family like grocery shopping or dropping off dry cleaning and mail.
- Preparing meals for the family. (Make sure to specify this on your listing, as some maid service lists do not include cooking).
- Tracking cleaning supplies and letting you know if there is a need for some replacements in cleaning products.
Duties you should not expect from a maid
There are some duties you should not expect that put them in physical danger or is not in their area of expertise. Here are a few examples:
Outdoor Cleaning: Outdoor window washing. You need to hire specialized cleaning services to handle the job. Power washing the driveway is another task left for a cleaning service. Also any type of carpet cleaning or tile and grout is best to leave in the hands of a professional cleaning company.
Childcare: A Maid service does not include babysitting and childcare. When needing childcare you should look for a nanny who also performs some house cleaning duties. Most people can afford a cleaning service as this is just a once or twice a month full cleaning. A personal maid can get expensive because it is like having your own employee.
To read more on topics like this, check out the house category.