Even though everybody’s home is different, they all have one thing in common – the kitchen is the most important place in every household. The whole family can gather there, prepare a meal together or just spend time with each other in the same space.
However, in order for that to happen everyone should feel comfortable and safe there, so when designing your kitchen you should aim for creating a friendly and enjoyable atmosphere. In addition, the space needs to be as practical as possible.
At first, this might seem difficult to achieve, so we at Nurten’s Kitchen have curated this short list of suggestions to help you make the best choices.
Why should your kitchen be stylish AND functional?
Unlike the other rooms of a house, the kitchen is prone to be untidy most of the time and that is a generally known fact. So, if you decide to incorporate some additional items in the decor, the mess is unavoidable. Therefore, when it comes to adorning your cooking space, we would recommend keeping it minimal, so as not to clutter the space unnecessarily and keep it relatively neat. Here are some reasons why you should put function before style:
- You need to admit that furnishing a new house could be a pricey endeavour. Therefore, it is better to prioritise the items you are actually going to use such as kitchen appliances, for example, instead of splurging on eye-catching, but useless decorations.
- Fashion trends change over time, but usability is constant.
- In the forthcoming future, you might need to sell your current house and move to a different one, you can never predict those aspects of life. So, I would recommend not doing anything crazy with the layout of the house, because that might repel some potential buyers who prefer more traditional styles.
How to plan with function in mind?
What can you do in order to make the best use of your kitchen? Here are some practical suggestions:
- Organise your kitchen essentials in a way that makes sense to you. Think about your cooking routine and which items you use the most, then store them in a place convenient for you. You need to remember that everybody’s habits may differ, so what works for someone else might not necessarily work for you, but you should definitely try various arrangements and see which one suits you the best!
- When you first plan the layout of your kitchen do not forget to consider where you will position your appliances and whether you will have enough electrical outlets for all of them.
- Some people may need more cooking space than others. If you are a person who can be somewhat chaotic while cooking and likes to spread out around the kitchen, don’t forget to incorporate some additional landing space on the countertop, so that you will have a spacious enough kitchen.
Now that you have created a configuration you are content with, it is time to find your inner artist and design a kitchen that inspires you to cook and brings you joy. The following ideas will help you to create the stylish kitchen of your dreams!
- If you want to spice up a plain wall, I have not one, but two options for you. In the first place, you might take inspiration from the TV show “Friends” and make a brick wall. Or if you like art, but don’t want to hang up pictures on the wall, you should choose tiles. Both of these options are unique and guaranteed to catch everyone’s attention.
- On the other hand, if you feel like your ceiling is a little bit boring and needs change, here is a fascinating idea for you. Create a false ceiling using wood. It is not only cheap and easy to make, but it is also effective!
- Another effortlessly achievable style is the minimalistic one. Just fill the room with simple, but meaningful items that bring you happy memories and you will thrive on the positive atmosphere in your kitchen.
Remember that designing your kitchen should be a pleasant process, so do not stress out too much. Your only goal should be to make it a comfortable place, not a perfect one. If you have fun and use your imagination, you won’t encounter any problems!
Leave a Reply