When it comes to surrogacy, it is a process where a woman agrees to become impregnated by another person or couple to have children. For surrogacy to work, a childless couple would find a surrogate mother either through a surrogate agency or on their own.
There are different ways how to become a surrogate mother.
- The first one is traditional surrogacy which is the most common type. In this process, the surrogate mother’s egg will be fertilized by sperm from a male partner or donor. The embryo will then be placed in the uterus of the carrier. Also, this process requires an embryo transfer on days 5-6 of embryo development. As a result, the surrogate mother is genetically related to the baby.
- An embryo from another woman will be placed into a surrogate carrier’s uterus in gestational surrogacy. It means that the egg of a surrogate mother will not be used, and as a result, she won’t have any genetic relationship with any child she carries. For this process to work, the woman in need of a surrogate carrier must have at least one viable egg which can be fertilized with her partner’s sperm. As a result, she may carry the child herself if her uterus is capable of doing so.
Below is how it works
1. The couple who is interested in surrogacy will usually have their embryos created through In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
2. Once the embryos are ready, a surrogate carrier will be given either one or multiple embryos, which will eventually develop into a child
3. The surrogate mother starts taking hormones so that her uterus can support a pregnancy
4. Next, the embryos are placed into her uterus either through a catheter or during surgery
5. Around nine months later, she gives birth to the child
6. The process is complete when the surrogate mother brings home her baby and, after that, signs away all parental rights to the parents
There are also a few different ways a couple could find a surrogate carrier. First, they can use an agency to help them find one. If the couple is looking for a specific ethnic background or height, an agency may help them by matching the surrogate mother with what they want.
Second, surrogacy can also be done through an informal agreement between the surrogate carrier and the couple. This process is usually done independently without any agencies or anything like that. You can find a surrogate carrier by listing ads on newspapers’ online websites.
There are so many different perceptions surrounding surrogacy all around the world. Some countries allow surrogacy while others do not.
Surrogacy has become quite popular over the past few years thanks to modern science allowing many couples who were unable to conceive a child. As a result, surrogacy has become such an important topic for many people worldwide. Today, surrogacy is also becoming less taboo because more and more people are starting to talk about it openly. It has become an open discussion topic and offers many families and couples a solution.