Veins in your body can be affected by various diseases like chronic venous insufficiency. This condition may cause you a lot of pain and discomfort besides the appearance of veins close to your skin’s surface, which may be displeasing. Home remedies like walking around may not give you a permanent solution. However, you can visit your specialist for vein treatment in Frisco to prevent the development of severe illnesses such as venous ulcers.
What is chronic venous insufficiency?
Chronic venous insufficiency is a condition caused when the veins in your leg do not allow for blood flow in your heart, causing backflow of blood and accumulation of blood in your legs. Valves in your veins may fail to work effectively as a result of:
· Aging. When you get older, your valves may become weak and collapse.
· Standing or sitting for a long time hinders the flow of blood.
· Deep Vein Thrombosis whereby blood clots in the vein of your leg.
· Obesity. When you are overweight, your body exerts a lot of pressure on your legs and causes the valves in the veins to collapse.
· Pregnancy. During pregnancy, the veins in your body transport a lot more blood than usual to support the baby’s development and may cause the valves to become weak.
Signs and symptoms for chronic venous insufficiency
There are symptoms you may experience when you have chronic venous insufficiency that includes:
· Cramping in your legs
· Swelling of ankles
· Pain that worsens when you stand
· Change in color around your ankles
· Heaviness and throbbing in your legs
· Flaking of skin in your legs
To reduce your risk of developing chronic venous insufficiency, you can observe some practices, for example:
· Engage in regular exercise
· Stop smoking
· Ensure you eat a balanced diet
· Avoid wearing very tight clothes that may restrict movement of blood
· Do not stand or sit for long hours
· Consider losing some weight if you are obese
The treatment process for chronic venous insufficiency
At Prime Heart and Vascular, your specialist will diagnose you by physically examining your legs. Your doctor may use an ultrasound to check for blood flow in your legs by displaying the image of your veins on a monitor.
There are different treatment methods that your doctor may use depending on the severity of your condition, including:
Sclerotherapy. For this treatment, your doctor will inject a solution inside your veins that makes them disappear from your skin’s surface. You require several shots for you to achieve desired results.
Endovenous thermal ablation uses radio waves that emit heat and causes the veins to close up.
Compression stockings. Your doctor may suggest that you wear compression stockings that apply controlled pressure on your legs and facilitate blood flow.
Litigation and stripping. This is a surgical procedure where your doctor ties and removes the affected veins.
Vein bypass. This treatment process involves transplanting a healthy vein from a different part of your body and re-directing blood from the diseased vein.
You do not have to experience pain due to vein problems in your everyday life. Book an appointment with your vein specialist at Prime Heart and Vascular and begin your journey to a pain free life.