The skin is the largest body organ and comprises two layers: the epidermis and dermis. The dermal layer of your skin consists of proteins such as collagen and elastin. However, the production of these proteins reduces as you age, resulting in skin laxity. Thanks to modern dermatology treatments, you can now improve sagging skin at your Memphis aesthetic medical spa.
What causes wrinkles on your skin?
Generally, the skin loses its elasticity as you advance in age. However, other factors that may cause wrinkles on your face include:
· Smoking. Toxins found in cigarettes may damage collagen and elastin. Smoking also causes vascular constriction, which prevents the flow of blood and oxygen on your face. People who smoke use muscles around the mouth frequently and may develop vertical wrinkles, also known as the smoker’s line.
· Ultraviolet light. Ultraviolet rays from the sun may damage collagen and elastic fibers in your skin. This may cause the skin to lose its elasticity and begins to sag.
· Facial movements. Grooves form below your skin’s surface each time there is muscle movement caused by facial expressions such as smiling or squinting. Smile lines may become permanent features on your face as you get older since the skin loses its flexibility.
Non-surgical skin tightening procedures
This is a non-invasive treatment method used to improve sagging skin, frown lines, and wrinkles. Radiofrequency therapy involves the use of heat in the epidermal layer to trigger collagen and elastin production. Examples of RF treatment systems in America include Thermi, Profound RF, Exilis, and Thermage. This treatment method works for different skin types. Your specialist may use radiofrequency to treat various body parts such as your hands, neck, and face. Your doctor may recommend you have several treatments to achieve desired results.
Your specialist may recommend ultherapy if you have mild skin laxity. Before treatment, your doctor will clean your skin’s surface and apply a clear gel. During the procedure, a hand-held device emits heat on the targeted areas with loose and sagging skin. The heat may cause slight discomfort, which goes away after the procedure. Minor side effects include redness and bruising on the treated area. You may begin noticing results after a few days.
Daily skincare routine practices
Although treatment may help eliminate wrinkles on your skin, it is essential to observe certain practices to maintain the results. For example:
· Protect your skin from ultraviolet rays by applying a broad-spectrum sunscreen, avoid prolonged exposure of your skin to the sun, put on a wide hat when the sun is hot.
· Keep your skin moisturized by drinking plenty of water and applying a facial moisturizer. Dry skin may cause the early development of wrinkles and fine lines.
· Do not sleep with make-up on, and ensure you clean your face in the morning and before you go to bed.
· Avoid smoking
· Eat a balanced diet and increase the intake of fruits and vegetables.
Younger-looking skin is attractive and enhances your overall facial appearance. Reserve a session with your specialist at A Beautiful You Medical Spa to improve your skin’s condition.