Many people are not sure about baby formula. With questions about what it is made of and its effect on the baby’s that consume it. Milk Drunk is the feeding and formula information station for all moms whether you are breastfeeding from the start and switch to formula, or are implementing both. You name the topic, Milk Drunk has you covered.
Today we are talking about baby formula, everything you need to know about baby formula to dispel any worry or fears you may have.
Baby formula is manufactured for feeding babies under twelve months of age. It is made to assist with getting the baby all the nutrients they need if the mother cannot produce enough breast milk, but it can also be used as a total meal replacement if the mother has stopped producing milk.
There are three types of baby formula on the market today. Each is based on a different protein.
These baby formulas are:
- Cow Milk — This is the most common type of formula sold today. Manufacturers take base proteins from cow’s milk and change them so that it will benefit human babies. It is the most popular because of its nutrient balance and its ease of digestion.
- Soy — This formula uses proteins from the soybean plant. This is mostly used for babies with intolerance for lactose. It is also a preferred formula for those living the vegan lifestyle and wish their families to live that way.
- Protein Hydrolysate —This uses soy or cow’s milk. The proteins are broken down much further than the other methods, making them much easier to digest. Only the most sensitive stomachs require this formula.
Other types of formulas do exist. They are very uncommon and are mainly prescribed by doctors due to medical conditions.
Baby formula comes in three primary forms, and each of these forms varies in price and ease of use.
- Powdered — The least expensive and most common form. You mix the powder with water, and it is ready to serve.
- Liquid Concentrate — This type comes as a liquid and is also mixed with water, and is ready to serve. It has a smoother consistency and is preferred by some babies.
- Ready To Use — This is the most expensive way to feed your baby. It is the easiest on your end because all you have to do is heat it to the right temperature.
All baby formula must contain certain things to provide a growing baby with what it needs. The FDA regulates these ingredients for safety reasons.
- Protein — This is essential to your baby developing new tissue.
- Carbohydrates — Babies get most of their energy from carbs. Although it can come in many forms, lactose is the primary carb source used because it is the closest to what they would get from their mother.
- Fat Component — All formulas contain fat. Fat is a critical ingredient because fat is where babies get the most of their energy to grow.
- Vitamins and Minerals — Babies need a variety of vitamins and minerals to grow properly. Vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and K are absolutely essential for healthy growth.
- Enzymes and Amino Acids — These are needed to help your baby break down nutrients for digestion and absorption.
- Prebiotic and Probiotics — Healthy bacteria is essential for your baby or child to develop healthy and strong. Bacteria is also a crucial component in breaking down food in the stomach and overall digestive health for all humans.
In conclusion, baby formula is necessary in today’s world. Although there is some controversy surrounding it, a large portion of the population uses it safely. It is also highly regulated by the FDA, so its safety is guaranteed.
Leave a Reply