Compression hoses are used to reduce inflammation in the legs, reduce extra fluid in the legs, and improve blood flow through your veins and your heart. If you are a patient or an athlete that uses compression hoses, you might need to wear them for several years, and for some conditions, you may need to wear them for your whole life.
Is it okay to wear a compression hose all day long?
Yes, it is okay to wear a compression hose all day. Depending on your condition, you may need to wear them longer. It is recommended that you wear them throughout the day and keep them off before bed. Put them on first when you wake up in the morning, and you should be given at least two pairs, or more so when you need to clean the other pair, you have an extra that you could use.
Here are some benefits of wearing compression hose:
- Decreases blood clot risk – When you are going through some surgeries, and longer than four hours, you have a higher risk of developing DVT or Deep Vein Thrombosis because blood clots can form in these situations but with the help of compression hose, you can prevent this from happening.
- Reduce leg swelling – Swelling of your legs can be just considered as a symptom, and you may think that it won’t cause serious problems, but fluid build up in your legs can be very painful and can also be a sign of a serious condition. The pressure in your legs can burst and lead to ulcers or other possible infections.
Compression Stockings prevent fluid build up in your legs and can also relieve and reduce pain from leg swelling.
- Improves blood flow – Compression hose copies your muscles ability to pump blood from your lower legs and back to your heart and this causes improvement of blood flow throughout your whole body.
- Prevents blood from pooling – If valves are damaged, blood pools in the legs with the help of compression hose, it can prevent blood pooling in your legs and feet.
- Improves varicose vein symptoms – Wearing compression hose helps the Vein valves to function properly, allowing blood to flow through your heart properly and relieving symptoms from varicose veins such as heavy feeling in legs, itchiness around veins and throbbing pain.
How many hours should you wear a compression hose?
Depending on your condition and your need you may need to wear them throughout the day or just for a couple of hours. It is still important that you talk to your doctor when you are making your compression hose as a part of your daily health care routine. So that they can recommend if you need to change the number of compression on your compression hose or adjust the time that you are wearing them.