Everybody wants to live a happy and healthy life, but with a respiratory condition such as asthma or COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), leading a normal life can be difficult at times. According to an estimate, nearly 16 million people in the USA are suffering from COPD.
However, there are some ways a person can manage their respiratory condition and lead as normal a life as they can. In this article, we suggest some of the effective ways you can reduce the severity of your symptoms and help treat the condition better.
If you have been a habitual smoker, quitting can be a hard job. But if smoking is making your respiratory condition worse, then it is time you consider quitting it altogether. Join a support group or rehabilitation centre to find helpful ways you can quit smoking and deal with its after-effects.
Some of the helpful ways are
- Nicotine replacement therapy
- Consulting a counsellor
- Group programs and activities
2. Diet and exercise
One of the worst symptoms of COPD is shortness of breath which makes it hard for a person to swallow and eat food. This obstructive airway condition can have a negative impact on the food intake of a person. Eating healthy foods and doing exercises that are friendly to your body can make a huge difference. Search for exercises online that do not put much strain on your lungs. Look for mild or moderate exercises that help keep your breathing regular. A daily jog or run around the block can do wonders for your body.
Similarly, take control of your diet and look for healthier options. Talk to a dietician who may give you a diet plan that helps your body deal with COPD better. More suggestions include:
- Eat small, frequent meals.
- Use a smaller plate for portions.
- Drink more water especially before every meal.
- Eat one fresh fruit or vegetable with every meal.
- Walk after every meal.
- Try to include all food groups in your diet such as vegetables, fruits, legumes, meat, seafood etc.
Most COPD patients take medicines to reduce the severity of their symptoms. Doctors prescribe patients inhalers as well so they benefit from free coupon for Incruse Ellipta, which is an effective inhaler for managing COPD. You can also:
- Make a daily routine for taking your medicine.
- Use a medicine checklist to help keep track of the timing and dosage of medicines.
- Tell your doctor about any unpleasant side effects so they can change your medicines or alter the dosage.
COPD poses a lot of trouble while sleeping. This may give rise to more sleep problems.
- Avoid napping in the daytime so you are tired at bedtime.
- Exercise for at least 20 minutes three days a week.
- Don’t do anything that makes you active 2 hours before bed such as work, exercise or jog.
- Avoid large meals before bed. It is better to take a light snack if you feel hungry before bedtime.
- Turn off all lights and distractions such as electronic gadgets in your room.
- Keep regular bedtime and wake-up times.