The teeth are an important part of the body that shouldn’t be toyed with. Imagine a human body without teeth? How would we masticate those succulent and juicy meals? How would we smile and make the world a better place?
Seeing then that this part of our body is very important to our wellbeing, it is necessary that we take care of it religiously. One of the ways we can do that is by brushing our teeth at least twice a day and also flossing. Additionally, we need to visit a dentist on a regular basis to ensure that all is well with our dentition. You can check out site for a statement from the ADA on this subject: https://www.ada.org/en/press-room/news-releases/2013-archive/june/american-dental-association-statement-on-regular-dental-visits
The Importance And Roles Of A Dentist
A dentist is a doctor that specializes in everything that has to do with oral health. It is true that in dentistry, there are further areas of specialization but we would first discuss the responsibility of a dentist. Furthermore, we would talk about the importance of the role they play in society.
The responsibilities of a dentist include but are not limited to the following:-
- Diagnosing diseases that have to do with the mouth (this encompasses the teeth, gum and tongue).
- Helping to interpret diagnostic tests and X-rays
- Enhancing oral health and preventing disease
- Formulating plans for treatment that would help their patients to maintain and/or restore their oral health.
- Watching over and ensuring the proper growth and development of patients’ jaw and teeth.
- Making sure that anaesthetics, drugs/medications are safely administered
- Carrying out surgical procedures on any part of the oral cavity.
In addition to the above, a dentist would usually oversee a clinical team in every aspect of oral care. H/she would always ensure that no matter how routine the procedure is, it is carried out safely. This is because there is always the risks of issues such as prolonged bleeding, temporary or permanent damage to the nerve, pain or infection.
Apart from taking care of the teeth and gums of their patients, dentistry covers the care of the areas from the neck up. It is actually a very broad area of specialty in medicine. The summary is that they contribute to the overall wellbeing of patients.
Training Required To Become A Dentist
Although you can easily find details of the education and training required to become a dentist, we would give you a brief summary in this article.
The requirement for becoming a dentist is on the same level as that of other medical practitioners. Schools of dentistry have very high standards that must be adhered to before any student is awarded a certificate that qualifies them to practise. This comes as no surprise as they would be dealing with human bodies and so should be well trained.
A dental student must have earned a Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent after which h/she would write admission examinations. Those who pass are then admitted into dental school.
Medical and dental schools have essentially the same curricula for the first two years. Some of the courses they take include biochemistry, anatomy, microbiology, physiology, pathology and immunology. In the next 2 years dental students would go on to focus on clinicals which encompasses diagnoses and treatment of oral diseases.
Between obtaining an undergraduate and dental degree, an average student would have put in about 8 years. In addition to this, most dentists go further with their training and education to get certification in specific areas of dentistry.
How to Get The Best Dentist For You
You have seen the role of dentists and how important they are to the general wellbeing of an individual. You can find more on that here. We have also discussed a little bit about the education and training that they require before they can start practising. Let us now go ahead and give you tips on how to choose the best of these practitioners for you and your family.
Ask For Referrals
One of the surest ways of getting people to hire for almost anything is by recommendation from people who have used their services. A satisfied customer would always be glad to recommend a vendor to others. In the same vein, a patient who got the best of care from a dentist would gladly recommend him/her to others.
So when searching for a doctor to take care of your oral health do not hesitate to ask friends, family, co-workers and neighbours. More so, you can ask for referral from your general practitioner. This is even a very sure bet because your family doctor would not refer you to a quack.
Peradventure you are in unfamiliar environment where you can’t get physical referrals, you can always check online. Similarly, links such as https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/finding-dentist prove useful in helping you know what to look out for.
We also feel that visiting sites of medical associations such as ADA (American Dental Association)can go a long way to make your search more productive. When you go on their site, you would find qualified dentists that are registered with them.
You can also check other business and review sites for recommendations.
Compare Two or More Options
It is always advised that you compare two or more practices before you decide on which clinic is best for you. There are so many things to look out for in this comparison shopping and they include the following:-
- Proximity – how close is the place to either your home, place of work or wherever you would be going there from.
- Environment – how welcoming is the environment? How clean and well maintained is the place?
- Qualification – what is the level of qualification of the people that would be attending to you? Of utmost important is the qualification of the one in charge of the clinical team.
- Equipment – check out the equipment that they use to ensure that they are modern and technologically up to date.
- Customer Relations- how do they relate to their clients? Do they make the process of consultation easy? Do they go all out to make their patients comfortable?
- Price – Notice that we did not put this as first priority. This is because it is expected that good quality service would not come cheap. However you do not have to break the bank to get great service.
If you just moved to Vancouver or you are there on vacation, visit or business trip, you can click here for one of the best dentists in Vancouver, BC to take care of your oral needs.
Getting the services of the best dentist in Vancouver is not rocket science. We have shared some tips in this article that we believe would help you to identify the right fit for you. So feel free to utilize these tips in your search.