According to recent research, the better you care for your appearance, the more opportunities come your way.
So when it comes to golf, you might have game like Tiger Woods, but if you’re dressing like a slob it could be detracting from your reputation big-time.
Fortunately, we’ve got you covered (literally), with a simple list of dos and don’ts for putting together the perfect golf outfit. …You’re welcome.
Dos and Don’ts for the Perfect Golf Outfit
Golf is well known as a “gentleman’s game.” Hence, the courtesy and respect that is standard on the course should extend to a courteous and self-respecting appearance.
This goes for both men and women stepping onto the green. Here’s how to avoid some major golf outfit faux pas and at worst, be asked to leave the course.
Dressing appropriately for your next tee time doesn’t need to be complex. Here are the basic dos:
- A collared polo shirt– You may be surprised to find that some golf courses take a proper dress code so seriously, that you could be asked to leave if you’re not wearing the right things. A collared polo shirt is a standard top that is accepted on any green. When in doubt, always choose a polo with a collar. Collared golf shirts can be found in a variety of materials so you can choose one that suits your climate and weather.
- Shorts or slacks– Depending on your preference, you can wear golf shorts or slacks to play.
- For women, most courses will also allow an appropriate-length golf skirt.
- Keep in mind when choosing shorts or slacks that they should always include belt loops.
- That being said, always wear a belt. The loops aren’t just for looks.
- Best options for color and material often include khaki, navy, beige, or tan. If you’re really snazzy, various colors like coral, tangerine, or even some fun patterns have a place as well. Have fun creating your own style.
- Golf Shoes– If you’re serious about golf (and we’re guessing you are if you’re reading this), then throwing on a pair of running shoes simply aren’t going to cut it. Adidas golf shoes, or any other variety of golf-specific shoes, are essential to not only looking the part but playing your best.
- Choose either soft spike or spikeless golf shoes.
- Be aware that steel spike shoes are generally considered old-fashioned. They don’t do any favors to the course itself.
- Drawstring pants/shorts– We mentioned that shorts or slacks can be worn and both are considered appropriate golf attire. However, drawstring pants or shorts, jeans, or basketball shorts are a no-go.
- Improper Footwear– This includes just about everything outside of actual golf shoes.
- Avoid sandals, flip flops, cross-training shoes, soccer shoes, or any basic pair of sneakers.
- We’re going to go ahead and throw steel-spiked shoes in here too. There are too many better options for golf shoes.
- Overly Flashy anything– One of the most fun parts of choosing a golf outfit is getting creative. However, try to stick within good taste by not going too over the top with nutty patterns or bright colors.
Selecting the right golf outfit is pretty easy when you get down to it. Enjoy the process and when in doubt, ask yourself, “would Jack Nicklaus wear this?”
Still need further fitness fashion help? Get more ideas on how to dress appropriately for your favorite physical activities from our fitness section.