Arguably, the best part about owning a Jeep Wrangler is taking the top off. It is one of the most defining characteristics of the vehicle (along with its off-road ability) and is a fairly unique feature. However, a lot of people are not sure whether they want to get a soft top or hard top option. It is probably no surprise that, just like finding the right Jeep wheel and tire combo, the answer depends on what you will do with the vehicle.
There is a lot to love about Jeep soft tops. These are some of the top reasons to choose the soft top:
- Easy To Remove: Generally, soft tops are much easier to remove. Some are even designed to be opened without having to remove the entire frame. This makes them a good option is you like to put the top up and down a lot.
- Easy To Store: The top will usually fold a lot smaller compared to a hard alternative. Therefore, you can store it in the back of your Jeep or in a corner of the garage.
- Convenient: The above two benefits make the soft top a lot more convenient in a lot of cases. If you are out on the trail and it starts you rain, you can quickly pop up the soft top.
- Less Expensive: In most cases, soft tops are less expensive than roughly equivalent hard tops. However, this can vary between models.
Reasons To Choose a Hard Top
Of course, the hard tops are no slouches either. These are a few of the benefits of this option:
- Strong: These tops are usually much tougher than soft tops. They may cost a little more, but they also last longer in most cases.
- Insulating: Hard tops insulate your Jeep better. If you deal with very hot and/or cold weather, a hard top may help.
- Secure: The hard tops are almost always more secure. If you are worried about someone (or some animal) getting sticky fingers, get a hard top.
- Roof-Rack Ready: You usually cannot use a roof rack with a soft top. If you want to carry bikes, luggage or a kayak, this is the better option.
Making Your Choice
Part of your choice should be based on how often you intend to remove the roof and where you expect to do so (at home or out on the trail). Another key consideration is your desired aesthetic. If you are going for an off-road build complete with Jeep fender flares and aggressive wheels, the answer may be different than for a beach cruiser build.
Of course, you will also want to think about your budget. Soft tops are usually more affordable. However, some people want to spend more for the premium look of the hard top. Whatever you choose, you will be happy because you have a Jeep.
Accessorize Your Jeep Today
Find the right roof for your Jeep today. Plus, pick up some other accessories. With everything from fender flares to a trail jack, you will be ready to fully enjoy your Jeep.
Leave a Reply