Technology has changed the world we live in. With so many technological innovations happening all the time, the lives of people have changed. Things have become easy and people can get work done faster thanks to the use of technology. There is no doubt that technology will continue to be used to make our lives better.
But, there are many downsides to technology. Some of them are scary and can cause serious problems. This brings us to whether technology is a boon or is it a bane. Read on to know the answer.
Technology – gift or curse?
1. The pros or benefits of technology
Technology has revolutionized health care. New equipment and technologies have allowed doctors to treat patients easily and have helped in increasing life expectancy. Doctors can not just consult with patients virtually, but even do surgeries remotely by using robotic technology. This is a huge benefit for patients.
Using technology has made education more effective. Multimedia technology helps students learn effectively. With online education being available, the entire world has become a classroom. Students from any place in the world can study at any university and earn a degree.
The content you want is available online for you. Whether it is a movie, TV show, sports event, concert, or educational program you can watch it using the internet. You need not step out of your home and can access content from anywhere in the world. This has brought entertainment to the doorstep of people.
d) Information search
Previously searching for information (whether you were a student or a researcher) used to be laborious. You had to read books, newspapers, and articles, spending many days, weeks, or months in the process. But thanks to technology you can find what you are looking for in an instant. This has changed the way students study and people work. If you are a content creator you can research the topic online, find stock photos online, create videos in an instant, and post content for the world to see. This is a big benefit of technology.
e) Increased security
You are now more secure thanks to technology. Smart cameras can help you check your home wherever you may be. Sensors will let you know if someone is moving around in your house. You can keep an eye on your kids and track them wherever they are. It has helped law enforcement agencies to ensure better security for people and catch offenders easily.
2. The cons or disadvantages that technology brings
There are many concerns that technology poses. These cons of technology can lead to serious problems, if not addressed. Some of the cons include:
- People are addicted to technology, particularly to devices (mobiles, tablets, etc.) and to the use of the internet (for gaming, and social media). This addiction can affect their daily lives and impact their work/education.
- Technology does not offer the personal touch that human interactions do. This makes things impersonal and can negatively affect the relationship businesses have with clients.
- Technologies like Artificial Intelligence are proving to be so powerful that they can replace humans at work. There is a fear that people would lose jobs in the future thanks to technology.
- Most technologies use computing that is vulnerable to hacking. Cybercriminals are using their own technology to carry out fraud and cybercrime. Loss of data, loss of reputation, and loss of money are serious risks involved. Predators and stalkers can use technology to invade the lives of people and cause trouble. Children and minors can be at serious risk from cyberstalkers.
- Families can break down because people don’t have time for each other. They prefer to use devices at all times and even communicate with each other using technology. The lack of personal interaction and warmth can cause relationships to deteriorate.
- While technology makes you safe, the same technology can affect your privacy. Your movements and activities can be tracked and this is a concern for people.
Having discussed the pros and cons of technology, it seems clear that technology is beneficial for us. There are numerous advantages that ensure technology makes our life better. The continuous innovations being done will ensure this continues and improves in the days to come. However, there are serious problems technology poses. We need to exercise care while using technology. When we compare the pros and cons, it is very clear that the pros outweigh the cons. Technology is a boon but has to be used with caution to prevent negative consequences.