If you feel like a decision taken by your college is affecting you, you can take steps against it by requesting an academic appeal. If you’re a student with no idea what this is and don’t know how to proceed,an academic appeals lawyer can help you.
When do you need to request an academic appeal?
Firstly, we need to understand what an academic appeal is and under which circumstances we can use it. An academic appeal is a formal request made by a student to their college to consider reviewing or changing a decision that is affecting them.
For example, your professor gave you a C on an assignment, but you think you deserved an A or at least a B. In such a case, you can request a review of your assignment.
Now, this was just one example. There are many other instances when you can make this appeal. Here are a few:
- A decision is made that impacts your academic progress. For example, your registration was terminated by the university.
- Decisions on your credits or marks
- A decision where your qualification was reduced after you studied for it.
- A decision has been made where you’re not awarded for the work that you completed.
- Cases where your academic performance is getting poorer because of bad professors or bullies or a severe medical condition.
Why do you need a lawyer?
This question is quite common. Many students think that they can handle this on their own. But when you’re challenging the judgment of the authorities, consulting an attorney is the least you could do to protect yourself.
When you hire a lawyer, it is guaranteed that they will have your best interests at heart, something you can’t expect from just anyone. Lawyers are professionals in their field. Therefore they can educate you about the rights you have as a student that will prevent you from getting exploited by your college.
Another thing lawyers can help you with is speeding up the process. These things usually take up a lot of time when done by the student alone, but the scenario changes when an honest lawyer is involved. Your college takes your appeal more seriously that way.
The procedure for an academic appeal
Requesting an academic appeal with the help of a lawyer is easy.
- Find a good education lawyer.
- Discuss your situation with them.
- Once you have described your problem to them, they will do their research and provide you with documents.
- Your lawyer will also present you in meetings or hearings if your college allows it.