As much as smart devices help us stay in contact with our children, these gadgets endanger children as well. From sexting to exploring pornographic content on the Internet, our children are surrounded with the digital danger 24/7. Parents need to adopt effective practices to protect their children online.
Here are some few useful tips for parents:
Teach Your Teen about Privacy Settings
Protecting your child’s information online is essential. Many sites on the Internet ask for your child’s information. Parents need to teach their kids about the digital dangers waiting online. If your child is not aware of privacy settings, they are more likely to get exposed to strangers or abductors on the web. The social apps such as Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat provide customizable privacy settings, by enabling those settings, you can keep your child safe from the strangers online.
Make Rules about appropriate Usage of digital devices
The most important way to keep your child safe on the Internet is to introduce them from the rules. Do not allow your child to use their device on their own without imposing any significant rules. Here are a few rules every parent needs to make in their household:
- Make sure your child understands what type of websites and content they are allowed to explore and what types are not healthy for them.
- Focus on providing your child a chance to have fun without involving screens, talk to your child about taking part in reading, playing, exercising etc.
- Many children start spending hours and hours while using screens, once they get their hands on digital devices.Keep their screen use regulated.
Take help from a Remote Parental Control digital device
As a parent, you can always ask your teen to hand you over their digital devices to have a look at their browsing history, text messages and contact list. But, there is a fair chance, they will clean up their phone first before letting you touch it. On the other hand, with the help of parental controls for Android such as the FamilyTime android app parents can stay in the loop with their teen’s activities digitally.
The app allows parents to:
- Have a look at the list of the apps installed on their teen’s digital devices, along with the date of installation and usage frequency of every app
- Check app usage frequency and see the time they spend on each app
- Block addictive social apps on their phones
- Monitor text messages on their devices
- Check their web browsing history, frequently visited URLs and bookmarks
- Schedule auto screen locks to keep their screen use under control
- Remotely lock their devices any time and from anywhere
You can get this parental control for Android by downloading the app from iTunes.