Basketball is a sport that involves two teams of five members each. The game is played on rectangular courts. The main purpose of this game is to pass the basketball from the defender’s hoop and at the same time preventing it to happen with the attacking team. Referees are present on and off fields to keep an eye on abiding the rules by the players. At the end of the game the points table is calculated. Whoever scores more, wins the game. In case if there is a tie after the game then an additional time period is scheduled. The five players of each team take in their positions during the game.
Every game has their own set of rules and regulations which channelizes the game. While some set of basketball rules remains constant where as the others may vary in different countries. In the year 1892, James Naismith published his set of ‘Basketball’ rules. Initially the rule book did not have points like shot clock, dribbling, dunking etc. Now days the games that are played are based on the modern theory of rules.
Set of Rules-
Some of the basketball rules are here as follows:
- The ball can be thrown using one or both hands at the same time. It can be thrown at any directions required by the player.
- Similarly, the ball can be batted using single or double hands. It can be done to any directions as felt by the player.
- No player can run along with the ball. The player needs to throw or handover the ball from the very place he catches it. This makes space for another player to come into action to catch the ball matching up with its speed.
- The ball can only be handled using the hands. The arms or body should not be touching it at all.
- No amount of physical ill treatment should be brought in to oppose the other team like pushing, shouldering, striking and tripping. The first time any player of any team who does it will count a foul. The next attempt will disqualify him till the next basket is made again. Is the referee finding an intention to injure the victim against this action then the player can be disqualified for the entire game? In that case, the team will have to play with four players because substitution will not be given.
- Foul also happens when a ball is thrown using a fist.
- If one side makes three back to back fouls then automatically a goal is added on the other team’s board.
- A goal is made when the ball is played on field from the playground to the basket net. The opponent should not be successful in disturbing or restricting the goal from entering the box. If the ball finally settles on the edges then it shall be counted as a goal.
- The umpire shall be the principal judging the entire game. It is his duty to count on all the fouls made by both the team players and report it to the referee accordingly. The umpire also has the equal power to show cards and disqualify as per rule no. 5.