Ok.. let's see if anyone actually reads this or gives a hoot - enough to respond.
First - a little about me....
I have been trying to go lucid since '85 or so - when I first heard about LaBerges work in Palo Alto.
My score card: attempts - Zillions successes - Zilch
I've tried just about everything known to man, and then a few
- I got the first nova dreamer from LaBerge when it was just a digital timer mask, and kept on getting each new improvement and firmware update after they added IR Rem detection. Lately I've tried the Rem-Dreamer (ELI - made in Poland).
- I've got a Zeo (had to order it through Blackstone, as Zeo's 'anal?' marketing scheme will not accept orders from Canada - Come On guys - 'Get Over It' and start selling to the rest of the world!! There are a lot of smart people out there who would love to support your product).
- choline, galantamine, macuna (L-Dopa), vervain, peppermint, Mugwort, Cala-Z...... ad infinitum.
I have come to realize that (contrary to my previous opinion) I do indeed dream!!
After I go to sleep at night, my next awareness is almost always -- Morning! However, I have in the last 20 years been able to recall 1-2 very vivid dreams - and only because I woke in the middle of them.
It seems that If I do not wake while in the dream, I do not REMEMBER dreaming!!! - which is the key to my problem and my new strategy .
- From what I have been able to glean over the years:
- dreaming has loose association to the REM state - but not all dreams are in REM and not all REM's result in dreams.
- muscarinic agents (parasympathomimetics) such as choline, cholinesterase inhibitors (galantamine, huperzine-A) enhance (but are not essential to) dreaming late in the sleep cycle (but will keep you awake if taken early in the sleep cycle).
- dopaminergic agents (L-dopa), macuna... can also enhance dreaming (without increasing the frequency of REM) if taken late in the sleep cycle.
- seratoninergics (5-htp, melatonin) drecrease dreaming, and increase the amt. of non-REM sleep - should be taken well before sleep time as they facilitate falling asleep, but will have 'worn off' later in the sleep cycle.
So.. when I take 5-htp / melatonin 1 hour before bed, then take the 'dream enhancers' listed above at bedtime (along with 1g of Omega3 to delay stomach emptying and so delay absorption until later in the sleep cycle...
I still don't recall any dreams, even though ZEO shows I have had 3-4 REM cycles during the night!!!
So, I think I need to find a way to 'reliably' wake up during or immediately after a REM period.
- does ZEO's smartwake wake you up
a) any time you are in light sleep mode, or
b) only when you transition from REM to Light Sleep.
Assuming that you are still within the 'time constraint' window you have set.
I am hoping the answer is 'b)'!! If that is the case, then by setting my 'awake window' to say 4 hours' I should catch and be awakened from any transition from REM to Light - and thus hopefully REMEMBER the dream.
I'll report back on any successes I may have.
(if the Geeks at Zeo - bless you guys - could just add a 'dream detector: ie - 40Hz filter-> 'on' with alpha range -> 'off'' and couple that to the wake function as a selectable user option, that would be teriffic!!)